Thursday, May 28, 2009

Andrew Bird's Heron Bicycle

If you look at page 25 of the July issue of Bicycling Magazine you'll see a picture of Chicago's very own Andrew Bird straddling his beautiful lugged steel Heron touring bike in front of the Hideout. Now let me think... Where have I seen that bicycle before? Perhaps here.

Here's a picture of Mr. Bird's beautiful Heron just before it left Boulevard Bikes. Since then it's seen the addition of a set of hammered aluminum fenders and a rack. Note the care taken to preserve the vintage feel of the bike. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that might be some Brooks leather bar tape on Mr. Bird's drops.

Want to get a Heron for yourself? Good luck. They're out of business due to difficulty finding a stock of good lugs. Seems like lugged steel will only get harder to find.

Rock stars have all the style...

3 comments:

Dottie said...

I saw this article - very cool! I have the same fenders as Andrew Bird :)

Anonymous said...

I dont think that is why heron is out of business

Anonymous said...

I have a Heron Rally that is the road version of this bike, same color and my bar tape and saddle look just like his. The guys at work who saw the Bicycling magazine thought it was pretty cool.